Monday, November 10, 2008

Weimar Hole

After a long week of sickness, it was nice to get back out again.
Back to work and back to the theatre.
I had the pleasure of doing both yesterday.

I woke up early to catch the 8:37am train to NYC to go to work.

While walking up 45th street I came upon the Madison Avenue street fair going on to my surprise, there is always something happening on Sunday.
Same shit, different day. The same folks show up all the time with the fake Prada's and matching wallets, the junk jewelry and the oh so famous I (heart) NY Tee's.
The food vendors though, all smelled delish...too bad it was only 9:15am!

I kept walking to my first destination...D & D (there is no better way to start the day..."America runs on Dunkin" and so does Cristina).
Then off to work.
Nothing exciting to report, work was work.

After work I meet up with my brother at a little diner between 47th and 48th Streets and 8th Ave. before going to the 7:30 pm show at the Roy Arias Theatre Center Off Broadway Theatre (300 W 43rd Street, 5th Floor, shamless plug).
We had the traditional of traditional diner food...The burger deluxe! Yummy, Yummy. I haven't had one of those since the Thru-Way Diner closed (sad).
Good company, good conversation then off to the show.

The theater is small, but comfortable, in a NYC comfortable kind of way...tight but not so tight as my fat ass fit in the seat with no jaws of life needed to rescue me after the show.

EATfest 2008 consisted of 6 one act plays that were all brilliant in their own way.
I enjoyed all but two of them immensely.

The two I didn't like as much as the other four were "Hotline" which was about a teenage girl whose boyfriend breaks up with her and she wants to commit suicide and calls the suicide hotline only to get an asshole who knows nothing of how to talk down a potential suicide and then tries to pick her up, so to speak.

The second one I didn't like so much was called "Tranquil" a story of a gay brother (who is paralyzed from the waist down) and sister who is asked of said gay brother, to describe what sex feels like (since he will never feel it). I found this one a bit uncomfortable because I myself having a gay brother don't think it would be something that I could talk about or describe to him.
It had too many holes...ha ha, in it to work well (my opinion only).
Like the part when he thinks he would be a "bottom"...how could he know he was a bottom if he never even had or felt sex?

My second favorite, to "Weimar Hole" was, "We Appear to Have Company".
I loved it so much because of its simplicity.
An older couple sitting on a couch, husband reading financial times and wife flipping through a rag mag and a clown sitting on a chair in the background reading a book.
Already it sounds like something you would see at your parents house, clearly.
Said "wife" then turns round to see the clown, looks to the audience rather alarmed, but calm...turning to her husband and tells him of the clown in their living room. "Hubbie" in turn turns round and says, "ahh yes, so there is" and continues reading his paper.
The banter between hubbie and wife is brilliant (I do say "brilliant" a lot, don't I?) and its so nonchalant, like he is a stray cat on the porch that just got in the house or something...this is how the clown is treated. They continue talking about the clown and if he could be dangerous or what people might think if they just threw him out, when the phone rings and you find out that the husband is the Prime Minister and that the clown was his defense adviser who just pushed "THE button" to start WW III.
BTW, the clown makes no sound and does not speak at all.
Too Funny!

My absolute favorite though was "Weimar Hole" but not just because my brother is in it, but because it was the most entertaining and different.
It was funny, well written and there is nothing and I mean nothing that I haven't seen my brother perform in that wasn't absolutely brilliant!

This segment was about two performance artists that are just so bad, they are great. The audience cast members then have a "talk back" with the artists after their show only to find out that they "Weimar Hole" have become prisoners of said show and then...well, go see it for yourself! Comedic genius!

Photobucket

Vinnie Costa is a comedic genius and I just cannot see why he doesn't have his own sitcom yet! Come on NBC, CBS, Fox or even ABC...grab him up before Cable gets him!

By the way, the costume my brother is wearing for this roll was all found in his Halloween trunk (we are obsessed with saving costumes, you never know when you may need them again) Brilliant!


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a fun avant garde evening. The food seemed like it was kick ass and your brother was great... I wonder if the goal of the play was to stir up uncomfortable emotions? If so, then they did a great job... Stay sweet B