Friday, February 6, 2009

It has been a while

It has been a while since I actually had time to write and not just post Photo Phriday Pics (on Saturday no less) that I felt the need to.

Italy Pictures, Images and Photos

I have been busy with Brook's schooling, in particular the Italian CILA program. It is brandy new this year and we are all trying to be good parents and get as much out of it as the children are. I joined the Parents Advisory Board and we seem to be making some progress with getting the resources out to interested parents wanting to further their child's dual language education.

RIF Pictures, Images and Photos

I also am involved with RIF (Reading is Fundamental) back at Brook's old school. We just finished up the first distribution and are on to the second which I incorporated the Italian CILA. A while back, Brook's class performed a song called Su Nel Cielo translated: Up in the sky. The RIF theme is Reach for the stars.

I saw a connection and an opportunity to incorporate the two programs and what a great way to promote the Italian CILA by having the children perform for the Pre-K classes in Italian and as a bonus...in SPANISH as well!

I now needed a way to promote this and asked the head of the CILA program who the PR person for the Board of Ed was. I got a name and called the next day (which was Wednesday this week).
To my surprise, she was very receptive and thought that this came at the most perfect time and asked if I could be the reporter and photographer for the event!
Well, I was elated!
I couldn't be happier for RIF and CILA! What a great opportunity for me to get my photos out there as well.
It is a win win in my book.

I would like to ask my faithful 3 or 4 readers for some journalism advise. I normally don't report per se, I say it like it is.
Is there an outline for reporting?
Are there specific questions that I should have prepared for all involved?
Should I quote the children as well as the adults?
I have a pretty good idea of what I want to ask, but when do I ask?
Before, durring, after the event?
All of the above?
Comment me some of your feedback if you will, it is always a pleasure hearing from you all.

3 comments:

Donna said...

this should help
http://www.mediacollege.com/journalism/news/write-stories.html

have fun!

Anonymous said...

I think the most important thing is that you use your unique voice AND get the facts across.

I'm sure you'll make a great cub reporter!

X-Stina's X-Ploits said...

@ Donna
I knew there was a reason I keep you around.
@ Vin
Thanks so much!