Thursday, August 13, 2009

What is that smell?

I was sitting on my terrace last week when a warm breeze wafted a pungent aroma my way. I looked at the trash basket and it looked clean enough, but I took it out anyway, thinking the dead smell must have been coming from that.
A few days after (clean trash basket) I still smelled something acrid.
Since quitting smoking almost 2 1/2 years ago,
my senses have heightened 100 fold. It is a wonderful thing as well as a curse because I never knew that, for example, Grand Central Terminal smelled like a urinal.
I asked my husband if he sees anything while we were sitting outside chatting. He moved a few things around and saw nothing (it was 10 pm when I asked so I wasn't expecting anything).

The next day a went to water my terrace plants when I see a pigeon casually walking from under my table and then fly to my A/C.
Okay.
Lots of pigeons hang out here.
The next morning I wake up to a squeaking sound. It sounds almost like my dear friends dog's squeaky ball toy that she often plays with.
I wanted to throw that ball out the window! I go outside and see if Micky (the dog) is playing with her ball on the window. I see Micky, but she has no toy in her mouth but she is avidly looking up at my terrace. I then move the trash basket, move the cooler, move the table cloth up so I can see under it and this is what I saw:

Photobucket

So now I know where the smell came from and when I thought that it smelled like something died on my terrace, I was mistaken, LIFE was on my terrace, and it sure does stink!

I gave Momma Pidge a plate of bread and water. Time for me to google what pigeons feed their young and get me some.
I am truly honored that for the 20 years I am living here, on 3 different occasions, birds have nested on my terrace, whether it be in my plants or directly on it.
I feel like mother nature.

2 comments:

Jennifer Prescott said...

squab! tasty! no really, that is a lovely discovery!

X-Stina's X-Ploits said...

Too funny Jen!