Monday, December 15, 2008

I Should Jar It All!

Not to toot my own horn or anything, but I make the most awesome soup, gravy and chili this side o' the Mississippi!

I am not Jewish, but my Chicken/Turkey soup is to die for!
I do not know if I should divulge in my ancient secrets, but I will tell you that is is 95% FAT FREE!

I add no fat or added salt, just pure, fresh ingredients. How does she do it, you ask?

Easy.

For the soup, the best way to make your stock is from the bones, whether it be chicken or turkey. Add, carrots, onions, turnips, parsley, dashes of salt and pepper, garlic (2-3 whole cloves cut in half) and about 6 cups of water.
Boil the sheet out of it for at least 2 hours.
Strain it into another large cooking pot and add fresh cut onion, carrots, chopped spinich, turkey or chicken (I prefer the white meat but a little dark wont kill ya), sweet potato cubed and continue cooking for another hour or two. I also add (when I have it) ground turkey meat balls (rolled right into the soup). To make them taste even better, a splash of beef broth really does the trick.
Low fat, easy and delectable!

soup Pictures, Images and Photos

My Gravy on the other hand has been perfected over the years and is always best with fresh herbs added. There is nothing like an Italian Gravy with fresh basil, oregano, garlic, parsley, salt, pepper, garlic powder and plumb tomatoes! Canned tomatoes are ok to use but if you have any fresh from the garden, throw them into a blender or food processor and press puree and voila...instant tomato sauce.
It is so easy a child could make it. Just add it all to the pot and simmer for 3-4 hours. Add it to any kind of pasta (the Whole Grains are so much better than the Wheat in my opinion and it really is very flavorful and better for you).

pasta Pictures, Images and Photos

I like simmering don't I?

For my Chili, I am not traditional in the least and I do have a secret ingredient...I may or may not tell.
OK I will, but not right now.
I have been trying to cut the fat in this household without cutting the flavors, so I use a 1/2 and 1/2 mix of ground beef and ground turkey for my chili. Seasoned correctly there is no difference and my finikey older daughter eats it! Now that is saying something!

I add fresh jalapenos, onion, garlic, bb q sauce, tomato sauce, diced tomatos, kidney beans, salt, pepper, garlic powder, cilantro, green chili's, bacon, chili powder (added to the meet when browning, cayanne pepper sauce, cayanne pepper and the secret ingredient...BEER! Yes, Beer. It gives it the best flavor. Any beer will do, but I use Bud Select or regular Budweiser. Flavorful, low fat and delicious!



There are my secrets for happy, healthy, hearty family dinners!

Mangia!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Here is a no muss, perfect every time Cranberry Sauce in ten minutes.

One can of pineapple (Not in rounds)

One bag of fresh cranberries

1/2 cup of water

Put them into a pot on medium heat, then put the lid on the pot. Stir occasionally.

When you hear the cranberries start to pop, leave the lid on, turn of the heat and let it stand on the burner.

If you cool it in the refrigerator it will set up because of the pectin in the cranberries.

Stay sweet,

Brian

X-Stina's X-Ploits said...

I am going to try this Brian! xoxo