Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Bejeweled Blitzed!

Since being on Facebook (thanks Vin) I have not only reconnected with so many of my friends and classmates, I have found a wonderful new addiction (other than Farm Town, which I will save for another post) called Bejeweled Blitz.

Photobucket


The objective is to score as many points as possible by swapping jewels of varying colors in order to make rows of the same color that consist of three or more. Doing so will remove them from the board as new ones fall to take their place, and should the newly relocated gems line up as three or more to a color, they will be removed as well. The more jewels you remove, the more points you get. You continue to do this until the game ends.

The player is granted one minute to score as many points as possible. That’s about it, but there is some hope as the game is dubbed “beta“ (though so many Facebook titles have that tagged on them it seems to have lost its meaning, because it almost never goes away) and the one minute game is classified as the “current tournament,” suggesting new game play options may come along. As for social features, the game doesn’t use anything particularly new. Scoring more points earns you a few badges to show off in your Facebook profile, and like most social game games, when you play, your score is compared to that of your friends. This is where the addiction comes to play. You are always trying to "one up" your BFF's! Some scores are so ridiculous that I cannot fathom how in Gods name they even got those high scores. I think my highest was 94,500 points and that was a blast to get! So exciting to see all the jewels cascade, fall and burst into nothingness except high scores.

This makes for some exceedingly simple game play and a fun way to pass a few minutes (that lead into hours). The higher this score the better prizes you are eligible to win.

I have yet to hear of anyone winning anything yet, but I am hopeful it is myself or one of my friends so I can brag about it.

Today though, as I was getting ready to play a few minutes, I got this message when I went to sign in:

SO MANY GEMS, SO FEW SERVERS!

WITH YOUR HELP, BEJEWELED BLITZ HAS GROWN SO POPULAR THAT OUR SERVERS ARE BEGINNING TO BUCKLE UNDER THE WEIGHT OF MILLIONS OF FALLING GEMS.

THE SITE WILL BE OFFLINE FOR A WHILE TODAY WHILE WE UPGRADE OUR SERVERS TO MAKE SURE YOU CAN CONTINUE TO ENJOY BEJEWELED BLITZ FOR MANY MORE HOURS, ONE MINUTE AT A TIME. WHILE WE'RE DOWN, WE'RE ALSO GOING TO SNEAK IN A FEW UPGRADES WE THINK YOU'LL ENJOY!

PLEASE CHECK BACK LATER TODAY FOR YOUR DAILY DOSE OF BEJEWELED BLITZ.

-THE BEJEWELED BLITZ TEAM

What to do, what to do?
The last time I checked back "later" it was at 11pm.
I guess I am not Blitzing tonight! I wonder if everyone got this message?
I certainly hope so!

No comments: