Friday, October 17, 2008

Options, and more options...

I have so many options now I am getting all confused again!

So many things I want to do and so many things I want to do for money (not in the way you are thinking people...this is a wholesome blog thank you very much).

I have been offered an opportunity to work with my photographer friend in December and I said YES!
It is a one time deal for now, but I am sure it can lead to way more.

I was offered a full time job starting in January working (9-5:30) in NYC with one of my cousins customers for bocu bucks (which, in this economy, is truly a plus).

I am still awaiting my fingerprints for my application for Teacher Assistant (which, since the summertime, have been really wanting to be involved with and figured this is what I want to be when I grow up) but the process is taking too long and the pay is really shitty ($50.00 a day for subbing to start).

At my age and in this economy what is a girl to do?

I have thought and thought and am thinking...go for the bucks.

The only sure way to home ownership in the next 5 years is to make the money, I am guaranteed (at least I hope I am) the money in NYC and the best part is that I have minimal child care needs.

My dad is semi retired and can pick her up from school Monday-Wednesday. I am sure one of the other moms (who aren't working) can pick her up and take her home with them (paid of course) for a couple of hours until I, or my man can pick her up for the other 2 days a week.

There is an obvious choice here, but I am so torn up.

Why is it when given options we tend to go for the most obvious, but at what expense?

Did I make the wrong decision to focus on getting into a school?

Will I be making a mistake by accepting a job in NYC full time and then having no teaching options at all?

The only good thing about the Photography gig is that its on the weekends and this gives me no problems whatsoever except for one...

The only problem I have is I need to upgrade my camera, how you say, invest in a new camera, a professional camera...

I am looking at this one:
EOS Rebel XS 18-55IS Kit

EOS Rebel XS 1855IS Kit EOS Rebel XS 1855IS Kit Digital SLR Camera Item Code 2762B003 Suggested Retail Price $699.99† Price includes lens. For perfect photos, fast and simple, there's nothing better than Canon's new EOS Rebel XS. With powerful features including a 10.1megapixel CMOS Sensor, Canon's DIGIC III processor, fast shooting and more, it's a digital powerhouse.

The problem is the $do re mi situation right now and how to pay for this bad boy. I cannot afford this beautiful camera right now, but, if I take the full time job in NYC in January I could afford this in 3-4 months time by just putting away a few hundred a month, or using what I make at various photo shoots on the weekends toward the cost of the camera. I am also looking to submit some of my photos for "clip art" that I am researching now.
I am sure that by early next year I will own this camera!

I am so ready to take my photography to the next level and really make some money out of a fun hobby by keeping it just that, my hobby...just a hobby with benefits!

So, in essence, if I forget about the Teaching Assistant and go for the money, it can finance the photography hobby and I can have it all.

I see now what I must do, but the sacrifice I am making about the Teaching is hurting me a bit.
I want to make a difference and I am so passionate about being involved with my daughters (both daughters) education, but I need to be realistic now and go green in so many more ways than recycling all my cans, bottles and papers.

What to do, what to do?

The answers are so clear but I still have reservations, why? I guess because nothing is set in stone just yet and just a few months ago I didn't even think I even had a job in NYC!

Now we wait and see how it all goes down, I am hopeful, but not as confident as I should feel right now. Until it is semi-set in stone, I will feel much better.


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Cristina,
I can't make the decision for you, but I can say for myself, that when I worked in NYC I was miserable because I was out of the house 12 hours a day with the commute and all, and it just wasn't worth the lack of time with my family, and the pure exhaustation I had.

Suzie

Anonymous said...

I would love to weigh on on this, but, I don't know what the job is. Just 'cause it's good money doesn't mean it's worth if if you're cleaning poop all day...

as for what Suzanne - I know how much I hate taking the train to New Rochelle Eight times a year, I can only imagine if I had to do it five days a week!

X-Stina's X-Ploits said...

@ Suzie
Well, I will be out of the house from 8:30-6:30 and I actually look forward to the commute to read in peace!

@ Vin

The job would be the same as for Debbie, without the poop...lol. Cleaning, steaming and bagging the jewelery. Maybe some pick ups and deliveries of the jewelry, organizing, invoicing...stuff like that. But I am apprehensive just the same. The commute really doesn't bother me, the bus is across the street and Anthony picks me up. I dunno whats going on yet, nothing is set in stone.

Anonymous said...

I hope that whatever you decide that it works for you and your family! Good Luck on making the decision!

X-Stina's X-Ploits said...

@ Suzie

Thanks. It isn't set in stone yet, and I have time to think.