Monday, March 30, 2009

Savant Spot: "Fool" by Christopher Moore

I know in an earlier blog I was going to start a book review called "Donna's Picks" but what do I call it when she didn't actually pick the book for me to read?

I did a little thesaurus searching and decided on "Savant Spot" (roughly translated from Donna's blog "Bookworm Corner".)

I couldn't rightfully steal her title so I jazzed mine up by saying the same thing just worded differently!


Photobucket

Today's review is on Christopher Moore's most recent novel "Fool", his take on Shakspeare's tragedy "King Lear".

Featuring a very clear WARNING:

"This is a bawdy tale. Herein you will find gratuitous shagging, murder, spanking, maiming, treason, and heretofore unexplored heights of vulgarity and profanity, as well as nontraditional grammar, split infinitives, and the odd wank . . . If that's the sort of thing you think you might enjoy, then you have happened upon the perfect story!" (*on the book jacket).

I couldn't have said it better myself, and quite frankly, this is a hard book to describe without giving it all away.

I am a huge Christopher Moore fan so I may be a little biased. Putting aside the vulgar language and explicit material, Chris's writing is so incredibly entertaining and amusing that I completely forgive him.


If you know the story of King Lear, then you know the story of "Fool", only in Chris's novel, its through a Fool's eyes.

It was a bit hard for me at first to get the English humor (the mannerisms and wording) but I quickly got it with his help throughout the pages with his definitions of certain English and not so English terms. It was a quick read and hysterical as usual coming from Chris (as I so fondly call him now, considering I have read ALL of his novels, I thank you).

I loved the characters and most of all "Pocket", the fool himself, for actually teaching us not to judge others by their titles because one's standing can change with the drop of a hat (or a codpiece).

The only way to truly understand is to just read "Fool". So go out and get a copy right away!!




2 comments:

Donna said...

you had to make it spiffyer then mine hunh?

sheesh...idea stealer lol
though i feel as if i should read king lear first

X-Stina's X-Ploits said...

@ Donna,

I guess it is spiffier, I read too ya know! Geesh.
You really do not need to read King Lear first, unless you really want to, but it is a very loose interpretation to say the least! Fool was a fun take on the tragedy.