Saturday, September 20, 2008

On a lighter note

I went to enter my photos in the "93rd Annual Open Juried Art Exhibition" (www.nraaonline.org) at the Public Library this morning.
I got there and was all prepared, so I thought.
I submit my check to the cashier. Check.
I take out my framed photos. Check.
I filled out all the information required and was about to have that information stuck on the back of my art when the receptionist says, "Uh, these need to be wired". Oops.
I was in a panic.
Then she said that Art and Blueprint would have framing wire , just go there and pick up a kit and wire them up.
I wasn't as panicked anymore.
I get to Art and Blueprint and pick up what I need and ask if I can put them on here, he told me no so I paid my $1.50 and left for the library again.
I set myself up to wire the frames on an empty table and notice that I was not the only one who wasn't "wired". This made me feel much better, that I wasn't the only schlub that forgot to do this.
I start twisting the eye hook with no luck at first.
A nail had come with the picture hanging kit I purchased, if only I had a hammer.
I would hammer in the morning, I would hammer in the afternoon.
A nice old gentleman saw my dilemma and handed me this plastic "brass knuckles" looking contraption to use as a hammer and it really worked!
All I needed was a starter hole so the eye hook would go in easier. He was more than happy to help a damsel in distress.
He sees after this I have no problems at all and was impressed with the ease I got the pictures wired up. He was also impressed with the photos. He especially liked "Polar Reflection", so much so that he brought his friend over to check it out! Now I have 2 fans to add to my fan club.
I go back to the table to submit my photos, again.
Nervous, I ask, "that's it?"
"That's it, we will send you the self addressed stamped postcard with the decision of the jury, good luck!" says the receptionist.
As I am putting my photos on the judging table a woman (whom I thought was a judge) looked over the wire work I had done and said it looked good and that she was an old pro at wiring since she must have wired 10,000 pieces of art. She was an Art Teacher for 20 years.
As she took them from me she commented that the photos were beautiful. That made me feel real good, coming from a veteran Art Teacher!
I leave feeling confident and am hoping to make it to the next level.
There will be an awards reception on the 28th between 5-7pm and If accepted, I will be attending.
If accepted, a mailing will be going out.
If accepted I will shit my pants!
If denied, well, I will always strive to improve and to know that this was my first try at the gallery thing and there will always be others.
If denied, I will shit my pants!

3 comments:

Donna said...

why is ur post all funny??

dont worry im sure someone will buy your stuff lol

X-Stina's X-Ploits said...

@ Donna
What is so funny about the post?

Donna said...

its all centered and weird...like funky poetry lol