Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Train Tuesday's

Photobucket

My weekly train ride into the isle of "Man" has just been added to my blog fodder
(raw material: fodder for a comedian's routine) for my faithful few who read this.

I do travel on the Metro North Railroad every Tuesday to NYC and have seen and heard quite a few things to make my blog a bit more entertaining to read.
So the first installment of "Train Tuesday's" begins now:

I was on my way to work with Brook in tow. There was no school and I don't like to burden my dad with Brook ALL day when it really isn't necessary. She likes coming into the city with me and she makes for great company. I can guarantee a 2 seater just for us and we can sit anyway we want to without worrying about bumping into each other or listening to an unwanted cell phone conversation right next to us.
I am getting the iPod plugged in with her favorite playlist when the conductor comes over to us. I hand him my ticket and he stands there waiting for hers. Mind you, I have yet to pay a fare for her on the train and wasn't really expecting to do so today, until... He asks me where her ticket is and I politely lie to him and tell him she is 5 (what a good mommy). He says that there is a fare for her at 5 years old. I was surprised and thought the age was 6 and up (not really any better there). I just thought I could get away with not paying for her for at least another year or so, I wasn't worried, it only costs .75 cents, so I thought. Little did I know that a child "family fare" in the morning commuter hours up until 10 am is $3.75 at the ticket window and $9.00 aboard the train. "$9.00?! for a 5 year old?" I say.
"Yes, I don't make the fares up, you never paid for her before?" he says.
"No, I was never asked for a ticket and the conductors usually gave her a smily faced seat marker for riding the good ol' Metro North" I reply.
"Well, that will be $9.00. Just think about it this way, this will be for all the times you saved by not paying for her." he says
"Gee, thanks." I say back as I am digging through my wallet as moths fly about and I manage to find a $10.00 bill that I had stashed for just this emergency.
That fare left me with $3.25 for the day, $2.50 for my coffee and .75 cents for her return ticket.
You don't have threaten me with another onboard fare again, thank you very much!
Lesson learned, be nicer to your conductor and don't lie about your kids age and fork up the do re mi.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG!!! you soubd just like Joseph......always trying to buck the system. Do you know how many times he pretends to be asleep when he goes to my parents just to aviod the conductor????
I can't wait to read Train Tuesdays!
Maria

X-Stina's X-Ploits said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

that's a great start, I can't wait to read more!

X-Stina's X-Ploits said...

Tune in this Tuesday for more!