Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Train Tuesdays....Did somebody smell smoke?

Photobucket


Every week my husband asks me the same question, "What time do you think you'll be in?"
"The same as every Tuesday night...6:30pm."

This is the day I commute into the city for work. I enjoy the commute itself, but taking a bus to the train in the AM and having my husband pick me up at the train station after work can be daunting yet very scheduled.

He just asks because he has to make sure I am not doing something afterwords and he has to come pick me up at a different time. Not for nothing, but I would have told him if I were to be late, duh.
Anywhoos, he asked if I could get off at the Pelham Station this particular evening because it would be better for him.
Not a problem, except now, I will be in at 6:25PM (you don't keep me waiting dude, I am pooped...)
"Call me if anything changes."
"Nothing will change," I say, "6:25PM", be there or be square.

After a grueling day at work, I go down into the depths of Grand Central Terminal via Northwest Passage from 47th and Madison, along with hundreds of other rushing commuters at that hour.
I was actually early, got a one seater (yeah, I don't like people I don't know too much sitting next to me and my precious self), pull out my daughters copy of Inkspell (that I am halfway through), and started to read.
The buzzer rings, last call.
The doors close.
Ahhh, nice.
We get approximately to what may be the equivalent of 57th Street and the train stops.
"Sorry folks, we are having some door issues and we need to back the train up to the platform."
Huh? Wait a minute, back the train up...

We got back to the platform and were instructed to exit the train and go onto track 17 and we would leave from there.
I put my book away and prayed for another one seater!
Controlled chaos ensued.
It was an actually easy transition to make and we were off at 6:15PM.
Okay.
I told the man to pick me up at what time?
I couldn't even call him to let him know that the train was going to be delayed till 6:25PM, the exact time I told him to come and get me, because I was where?
In the depths! No cell service.
Okay, he is gonna KILL me!
I was a bit rude in answering him about the time I would be home, but in the end I had a good excuse.
When we boarded the new train we were told by the same conductor (he had to switch trains too, evidently) that there was an electrical problem with the front car doors that it actually started smoking and that for safety reasons we had to switch trains.
"Sorry for the delay"
Never a dull Tuesday! Chinese for dinner?